Urogynecology & Incontinence Therapy
Find Surgical Options for Urinary Incontinence
Approximately 18-20 million women in the U.S. suffer from incontinence, and nearly one in four have experienced some type of involuntary leaking urine. Losing control of your bladder can be a result of many different factors such as aging, childbirth or a recent surgery. Many women that experience incontinence find it difficult to speak about to anyone, even their doctor.
It is important to understand you are not alone and there are many ways to treat the condition, including surgical procedures, medication or even exercise. Restore your confidence and get back your best life, by contacting the Urogynecology experts about Incontinence Therapy at East Cooper Medical Center.
Don’t feel embarrassed or discouraged. No matter what your condition, there’s treatment available for you—either through conservative medication treatments or by invasive means. Our team of urogynecology experts will work with you to develop the best possible treatment plan for your condition.
What Causes Urinary Incontinence?
Pregnancy, vaginal delivery, surgery, radiation, or injury can lead to urinary incontinence. Other causes may include:
- Chronic constipation
- Kidney or bladder stones
- Medications such as diuretics
- Neurological conditions like multiple sclerosis or spina bifida, where nerves and/or muscles may not function correctly
Tips for Managing Urinary Incontinence
In order to help manage this condition, doctors might recommend some of the following:
- Exercises-learning how to control and strengthen the pelvic floor muscles can help women reduce or eliminate urine leakage.
- Weight Loss- Maintaining healthy body weight is important for normal pelvic floor function.
- Dietary Changes
- Drink fluids in moderation
- Eat plenty of fiber daily
- Doctors may suggest surgery if other treatments have failed
Find a urogynecology expert with our online tool to get matched with a doctor who is convenient, highly skilled and right for you.
East Cooper Medical Center
Outpatient Rehabilitation Center
851 Leonard Fulghum Blvd, Suite 103
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464
Phone: (843) 416-6620